Tuesday, 21 October 2008
On Saturday, 8 November 2008 youth from Cyprus will meet with other youth from 11 European Union countries at the “European Conference on Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation”. They will hear from distinguished leaders across Europe, present results of an International Youth Survey, discuss outputs of regional youth Structured Dialogues held in Cyprus, Italy and Romania and present a joint declaration on citizenship and youth participation across Europe. This conference is part of the European Union Youth in Action Programme project called “UCYVROK” which is short for Uniting for Citizenship and participation: Youth promoting Vulnerable groups' Rights, Opportunities and Knowledge. The event will be held from 10.00 until 16.00 at the Golden Bay Beach Hotel in Larnaca, Cyprus.
The UCYVROK project is coordinated by Cypriot non-governmental organisation, Future Worlds Center and is implemented in partnership with eleven youth non-governmental organisations from across Europe. The project receives funding from the European Commission’s Youth in Action Programme and is a direct response to the European Parliament’s inquiry about the lack of youth participation in European activities.
Project activities have included structured dialogue workshops in Cyprus, Italy and Romania, the creation of an online platform (http://ucyvrok.wetpaint.com) linking youth across Europe, a comprehensive survey examining the current youth environment in eleven EU countries, and exploring ways to promote youth participation in European activities and intercultural events, with a particular focus on less privileged youth.
Confirmed speakers at the “European Conference on Youth Inclusion and Youth Participation” include the Honourable Panayiotis Demetriou, Member of the European Parliament from Cyprus, and Jaco Cilliers, Programme Manager from the United Nations Development Programme - Action for Cooperation and Trust (UNDP-ACT). Other special guest speakers will be presenting as well.
UCYVROK European Union partners:
1. ANTIGONE - Information Centre on Racism, Ecology, Peace and Non Violence (Greece)
2. CVC - Centrum Voľného Času (Slovakia)
3. ANEEI - Agency for Non-formal Education and European Information (Bulgaria)
4. ADICE - Association pour le Développement des Initiatives Citoyennes et Européennes (France)
5. Università del Terzo Settore (Italy)
6. Intercultural Institute of Timisoara (Romania)
7. Salesian Missionary Voluntary Service – Youth for the World (Poland)
8. Association Youth for Society (Latvia)
9. Multikultúra Egyesület (Hungary)
10. Jugend bewegt Europa (Germany)
11. Human Rights Education Youth Network (European Network/ Spain)
For more information please contact Project Coordinator Larry Fergeson at Future Worlds Center.
Tel: +357 22873820 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
European Union funded Youth in Action Programme Project No.: 2007-3756/010-001